Sunday, February 04, 2007

I occasionally check my kids' drop-down menues to see where they're going on the internet. My son has been spending some time at addictinggames.com I found out why. That website is loaded with games you want to try just one more time to see if you do better. One has you placing the states on a blank US map. I've played it 3 times, improving my score with each round. It got me to thinking...

How much money would be an incentive to my child to play that game? I could bet him - and the girls too - that they couldn't reach a certain score. I was thinking of making it an incremental bet too. Like, I betcha 5 bucks you can't get to 50%. And I betcha $10 you can't get to 75%. I betcha $20 you can't get 100%.

Too much?
Play and see.
I'm always looking for sneaky ways to get my kids to learn stuff, just like the stealth vegetables I try to mix into dinner.

Beware, they've got Hawaii in the Caribbean. I didn't realize how poor my Midwest geography is. I had those blocks all stacked wrong my first time through.
addicting games 50 states

3 comments:

Anne said...

Whew! I got a 98! First time. My first state was Iowa, I had it too far south. That's a hard one without any other visual clues. The rest I got spot on.

Anne said...

I should point out to your readers I did major in geography in college.

I've done this challenge several times since and my score is greatly dependant upon the order of states to be placed. I got a 100% the other day but lucked out on the order. So, do I get the $20?

AM Kingsfield said...

I would have never bet you that! I knew you could do it with no more than an "I dare ya."
But you should see my kids! They are really working. And I'm losing money!