Monday, February 19, 2007

I hope you indulged this Mardi Gras.
I never grew up with a tradition of Lent. So it is kind of a novelty for my kids & me. I know that the sacrifice is supposed to inspire devotion, but for us, it is kind of a personal challenge.
I don't think I pressured my kids to give anything up. I only indicated that Mardi Gras indulgences were only valid if they preceded a sacrifice. So they've all chosen something to go without until Easter. I think they are inspired by the ritual of it.
It's kind of nice to have a ritual.

I'm giving up coffee. It is a noticeable void, even if I still have tea. My daughter was alarmed when I told her my choice. She was afraid I would be extra grouchy and it wasn't fair that the kids should suffer because of my decision. I'm not giving up caffeine, just coffee. It's enough of a disruption to my routine to make me stop and think.

How about you?

5 comments:

Lolita's Momma said...

Wow! I just got a withdrawal headache by reading your choice to give up coffee.

Linda said...

Coffee? Oh my goodness! That IS my ritual LOL! C & R usually give something up but I like to add extra practices for mind, body & spirit during Lent. It helps me to remember what it really is all about.

Miss Bunny said...

Yuck! Coffee... who cares? Peanut butter is way better! I've learned that peanut butter comes from the kitchen and run there when I hear the pb jar. When I stand on my hind legs and turn around, they always give it to me while saying, "You know this isn't good for you, Bunny." Then they make coffee and say, "This isn't good for me. I drink too much of this." Is peanut butter like coffee? (I don't like the way their breath smells when they drink coffee.)

Unknown said...

I am so not noble or religious so I won't be giving up anything new. I give up money, time, sanity, "Lost" when Wildman comes to visit, and other things too numerous to mention.
You all have my respect.

Mom said...

I am giving up sweets, trying to think about the sweetness of God.
Little brother is trying to give up TV.