Tuesday, February 27, 2007

If my kids are learning anything about good cooking, it is from their father, not from me. The Ex, my babies’ daddy, cooks dinner for my kids at my house often once a week. He usually prints fairly elaborate recipes off the internet and brings most all of his ingredients. He brings in fine cuts of meat and simmers, sautĂ©s, and spices. If I’m lucky he leaves the rest of the wine he used.

I have decided that I am perfectly fine with losing the good cook battle to him. I acquiesce unreservedly. Maybe one of my kids will grow up and cook delicious meals for me every now and then.

Bad cook was on his list of exit reasons anyway. It’s a title I am planning to keep. I usually announce it early in any relationship. I’d rather exceed expectations than disappoint.

When I cook for the kids, it is usually something like Rice A Roni with peas and pre-cooked chicken. I select delicious frozen foods to heat up. The kids always eat a big helping, often having the leftovers for breakfast or an after school snack. I'm even teaching my son to cook Hamburger Helper for us. What a good boy he is.


Perhaps in a different phase of my life I will find more elaborate cooking worth my while. I do have some good recipes, but with the multiple requests for homework assistance, laundry, clutter, taxi schedule, and three part time jobs, I don’t find the time & effort has a big enough reward. We’re not all home for dinner at the table often anyway, although I do try to have family dinner at the table as often as possible.

What are some of your quick & easy dinners? I prefer recipes that are so simple you don’t have to write them down.

6 comments:

Mom said...

I taught you well. Your favorite meals growing up were Swanson's Pot Pies and Mrs. Paul's fish sticks. There are more important things to do than cook.

Anne said...

A favorite at my house is lemon chicken. I use the MarketDay Chicken Steaks which are already cleaned for an even speedier prep time.

Brown chicken breasts on both sides quickly in a hot skillet and a smidge of butter.Add a cup of lemon juice water (usually 1 part lemon juice 3 parts water), cover and reduce the heat. Simmer 20-30 minutes until the liquid is almost gone. The longer you simmer, the more tender they will be. Remove the chicken and add a hunk of butter to the remaining liquid, stir to make a sauce. Serve with your favorite veggie.

just me said...

i strongly recommend racheal ray's new cookbook - "Express Lane meals." not only are they 30 mins or less - but if you stock your pantry (list at front of the book) you only need one or two things at the store.

i hate to cook - will use any excuse not to - but we are trying to eat out less.

Unknown said...

Wow, CG, I have respect for your ability to keep things cool with the ex. Very grown up. And the upside is the kids can cook! What about leftovers of food, too?

From a long history of feeling like a home cooked meal means love, I have a hard time letting go for grilled cheese and soup but it IS a necessity to let cooking intricate meals go most of the time.

OOO, pot pies! I'm hungry!

AM Kingsfield said...

Just to clarify, I leave the house for dinner. I figure he needs time alone with the kids. It's too weird to stay there.

Miss Bunny said...

Fresh timothy hay, kale, parsley - topped with a mini carrot. mmmmm.