Tuesday, January 30, 2007

One of the cool things about having older kids is that their school work becomes more interesting - and challenging. My daughter has been studying for a social studies test. She has to know the Preamble. We've been discussing all those phrases: "do ordain and establish," "for ourselves and our posterity," "insure domestic tranquility." Which phrase do you like best?

Thank God for School House Rock. We've been singing it. Do you remember it? I hadn't said it in years, but when prompted, I could sing it. I'm going to post it in the comments. See if you can remember any of it before you look.

Did you ever have to diagram it? No one diagrams sentences anymore. I'm actually looking forward to taking grammar classes again when I start my Master's. (I still haven't heard if I'm in.)

6 comments:

AM Kingsfield said...

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Linda said...

Haha! I thought it was only me! I'll never forget the look on Cory's face when he came home complaining he had to memorize the preamble and I instantly sang the whole thing to him....arms flung open, head back....I LOVE Schoolhouse Rock! Conjunction junction, what's your function????

Dtodd said...

I recently watched a video of highlights of my favorite basketball player, Gilbert Arenas (number 0) set to the tune of Schoolhouse rock song "My Hero, Zero". Very cool video work and a cute song for a math guy like me.
I didn't remember that song or the Constitution one, but definitely remember "Conjunction, Junction, what's your function".

Mom said...

I learned it in 8th grade. I can't sing it, but I can still quote it and diagram it. I like the part about a "more perfect union." The founding fathers were looking for something better but seemed to understand that perfection was too much to ask.

Linda said...

RYC: You are a very smart lady....I have a friend who, when she decided to teach full time instead of part time said, "I figure I can get just as much NOT done then as I'm NOT getting done now" which is kinda twisted but so true. :)

Unknown said...

Diagramming and any English was great in school but I didn't get channels that had SchoolHouse Rock (dang it!)so I grew up rather clueless to its charm.
I don't remember having to learn the Preamble. I know my co-worker and I had to traipse around the school last year with posters of the preamble around our necks at this time to quiz the classes. What a lesson!