Thursday, January 18, 2007

My kids and I have enjoyed watching American Idol together. We particularly enjoy the beginning where the people who no one has ever been honest with try out. They say, “My mama says I sound like Barry White.”

Last year, I was watching with my kids during one of these embarrassing auditions and I told my kids, “See, you are not doing your friends any favors by lying to them to spare their feelings.”
My son replied, “Mom, you have a good voice – but for lullabies.”

I took that to mean I should stick to small audiences in closed rooms. I can take the hint.

So I do sing lullabies to my kids. My older two are kind of outgrowing the sweet bedtime ritual. I barely sing to them anymore. But my youngest has been challenging me lately. She has said, “Sing me a lullaby you have never sung before.” Tonight she requested “a short song from the 70's.” Where did that come from?

Anyway, I'm bored of my lullabies. Can you help me out? What lullabies do you remember hearing? Which have you sung to your children?

For a long time my son requested “The Star Spangled Banner” every night. No one requests that one now. I do sing a few of the sleepy old hymns from church, just so my kids remember them, like Amazing Grace.

Here's a list of the most popular ones in my house.
What am I forgetting?

Edelweiss
Raindrops on Roses
Stay Awake (from Mary Poppins)
Hushabye Mountain (from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
Mockingbird
Sweet Baby James
You've Got a Friend
Yellow Submarine
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Redwing (folk song my Grandma sang)
Logger Lover (folk song my parents sang)
Southland in the Springtime (Indigo Girls)
How long do you want to be loved? (Dixie Chicks)

3 comments:

Tracy said...

You Are My Sunshine was Jessica's and Hush Little Baby Don't Say a Word was Connor's. Probably WAY too "young" for your youngest though. I also sing Tell Me Why The Ivy Twines.. that one may work!

Unknown said...

Wow! A complete and timeless list.
Mine are the same as Tracy's ecept the ivy one.
What did you come up with for the "short 70's song"?

AM Kingsfield said...

"Let There Be Peace on Earth"