Monday, January 08, 2007


The thing about motherhood that makes me want to drink is the relentless nature of it. I love my children. They really are great kids. But they are so needy. They need rides. They need money. They need their friends over. They need hugs and sympathy. They need to be left alone. They need to take their anger out on somebody. They need someone to rebel against. They need new jeans. They need someone to edit their book report – now. They need their laundry done. They need to borrow my jacket. They need their horizons broadened. They need their intellects challenged. They need time to relax, a quiet place to study. They need it at 3am. They need it now.
They need.
They need.

Some days I’m good at anticipating it. A lot of days I miss.
I have a lot of help, but ultimately, their needs depend on me.
I wanted this. They are my wish granted. I love them fiercely.
But sometimes, more than anything else, they make me tired.

5 comments:

Lolita's Momma said...

amen sister

Mom said...

I promise that they will grow up. They will leave home. They won't need very much anymore. You will miss them. But, until then, get a good nights sleep and breathe.

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks Mom. I still need you, so I'm not sure how this relationship will feel when they're grown.

Tracy said...

I am tired too.

Laura said...

I am with you AM. Children are tiring, but I love mine more than anything in this world. But Oh, there are days when I think they are going to just wear me out!!!