Saturday, January 06, 2007

Have you heard about Oprah’s new Leadership Academy in South Africa? It’s for 7th & 8th grade girls and is apparently quite a show piece for Oprah’s philanthropy. I read a bit of controversy about it that got me thinking. This residential school has the mission of training “academically talented” girls from a poor background to be leaders. I’m sure the academic part is top notch. The campus is beautiful. The component being questioned is the beauty salon. O’s philosophy there is the beauty feeds confidence. These girls in this country have not necessarily been told they are beautiful. Like it or not, leaders are judged on appearances.

The naysayers point out that the funds could have helped more kids with 10 modest schools rather than one over-the-top academy. I say it’s her money and I’m glad she’s sharing, no matter the motive.

Here’s my question for you that I’ve been thinking about since I read the little article in the Post.

Is it better to do less for many or more for fewer? Should I give a small gift to a hundred people or a huge gift to one? A nibble or a feast? A cottage or a mansion? Flip flops or Manolos?

1 comment:

julie said...

Okay, I tried this before and because I switched to the new blogger, I have to log in first and then comment or else it loses my comment. I will try again but I am sure that I said it best the first time.

I don't think the size of the gift matters or if it is to a few or many or even it anyone else thinks that it is vital. It is just important that you are called and you answer, you are given a vision and you go for it. I admire Oprah for answering the call and for her amazing generosity. I don't think that I should question her motives or think of a better way for her to spend her money. She is acting from her own experience and wants to somehow better that for someone else...I applaud her.