Sunday, November 19, 2006

What do you guys thing about hunting?
I'm taking my kids for a weekend in the mountains. The guys in the party will be hunting deer. My son, who has no experience with this, will be accompanying the hunting party, although he will not carry a weapon due to his inexperience. I really can't take it back because he is so excited to go, even when I told him what time hunters begin their day.

I'm not planning to shoot any animals, although the target shooting was kind of fun. I will let my kids try that.

I'm thinking it will be a good experience, even if he hates it. Being entrenched in suburbia, my kids don't really have a feel for where their food actually comes from, not that we eat venison. I'm looking forward to some time in the quiet, dark mountains, regardless of the rustic conditions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am from a family that considered hunting a god-given right and all of us that have participated have been ethical in our hunting and observance of laws. I don't like people who don't observe the laws of their state, however.
Missouri is a very wildlife conservation-minded state, I'm proud to say. Hunting as well as protection is strongly enforced.
My kid's dad is an avid hunter as well and we have taught our kids that hunting is a necessary way to keep the wildlife healthy.
Glad to hear there is nature in your future! Have fun!