Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It's really hard to make an advertisement not sound like an advertisement. The Song of Solomon children's sermon has proven to be an easier assignment than the advertorial.


I did thoroughly enjoy the Indigo Girls last night at the Rams Head in Baltimore. They do attract a primarily female crowd. I'm sure people assumed things about me and Anne & Peggy. Wouldn't be the first time. I think all the men there were either married or not really men. It did make for some interesting people watching. It was a great birthday present. Thanks Anne.


I don't care who else was listening, I just like the sound of their music and the intelligence of their lyrics. I ended up dancing to most of it. You know, for a band known as a lesbian band, a lot of their songs make me think of men.


“Hope Alone” & “Last Tears” are about the ex

“Get Out the Map,” my first second try

“Run” is about the one that got away – my favorite former flame

“Nashville” reminds me of debating with Greg

Oddly, “Power of Two” will always remind me of Ben.

“Airplane” now make me think of skydiving with Jeff


But I suppose they do write more lyrics for women.


“Hey Kind Friend” reminds me of a few, but especially my two friends out west whom I've known for 25 & 42 years.


Then probably half of them remind me of Julie.

The best lines in their newest CD about Julie are from Pendulum Swinger:

You work in the system
You see possibilities and your glistening
Eyes show the hell you're gonna give 'em
When they back off the mic for once and give it to a woman”


And Peggy in “Closer to Fine” This is Linne too.

The best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all



For me, one of the phrases from “Lay My Head Down” that describes my present spiritual position is

Some plan for the kingdom of heaven

and some take their chances and bid lucky seven

I don't know what to believe, I just show up and breathe anymore.”

and also,

I see love and I like to make it happen” from Pendulum Swinger.


Anyway, their newest album is great. If you've never checked them out before, maybe you should. I bet if you've read this whole post, you'd like them.

1 comment:

Mary Kate said...

I'm so jealous that you got to see them again!