Friday, March 23, 2007

I have two interesting challenges on my plate.

The first is an assignment for a local magazine. I was asked to cover their "business of the month" feature. The business is a storage facility. I went there wondering how I was going to make this an interesting article, an article about storage.

Well fortunately for me, the interview went great. There are a variety of interesting ways people use storage space, so I think I can meet challenge #1. I'm used to working on heartwarming stories about kids, but I can do this too.

Challenge #2
Then the youth minister at my church left me a message asking if I'd do the children's sermon on Sunday. I agreed in a message I left for him in a round of phone tag. I just asked if there was a topic he could give me.
Sure.

The topic of the first children's sermon I will be delivering on Sunday will be...
falling in love

I laughed out loud. He obviously doesn't know me very well. I am perhaps the least qualified in that entire congregation to speak on this subject. My "sermon" will be all warnings.
"OK, kids, can you say 'pre-nuptial agreement'?"

But OK, I'll play along. Surely they mean falling in love with God. What's the scripture reference?

Song of Solomon.

I think I've been had.

3 comments:

Lolita's Momma said...

God has such a great sense of humor!

Unknown said...

So, how did the sermon go? Were they perched on the edge of their seats?
Challenging indeed.

AM Kingsfield said...

It went fine. I played it safe and focused primarily on the New Testament scripture. I forgot the closing prayer and couldn't figure out how to signal the kids that it was over and time to return to their seats. Another funny thing was in the first service, the guy who was the liturgist is recently divorced too. We had a good laugh over it all. At least is wasn't verses 2:3 or 4:5!