Saturday, March 10, 2007

I know rejection is part of the life of a freelance writer. I'm sure I will become more accustomed to it. My most recent big rejection was followed by another fun, regular writing assignment for a new publication. The paper I'm writing for is working toward getting itself online, but it still isn't. The local magazine I'm going to start writing for is also working on its website. So hopefully I can mention the links soon. It has been fun, fun, fun - even if I suddenly feel overwhelmed by trying to work the writing and reporting assignments in between trips to the pediatrician, school programs, teaching art classes, Brownies, LAX, play rehearsals, and all those obligations that I'm glad I have.

The suprising thing about all of my new writing assignments is that I had never really considered journalism as a career path. This all just kind of came about without too much planning on my part. One thing led to another - and it is working out better than any plans I've made for myself.

So I shouldn't let my most recent BIG disappointment get me down. I should know by now not to put too much stock in my own planning. I've had a few really big lessons in that in the past few years. But just as a reminder that the future is unknown, I was not accepted into the Master's Program I had applied for. I honestly hadn't planned on that possibility. "...we were unable to admit the many deserving applicants."
sigh
But maybe it was the wrong program for me. I had applied for a Creative Writing program, but I haven't been writing creatively. I was hoping that would give me focus, channel my ideas into the Great American Novel. But maybe I should look into journalism. It sure has been fun so far.

5 comments:

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

Aw, bummer about not getting into UM. Chin up, God's got a plan.

Linda said...

In theater, whenever the kids don't get the part they want or don't get in, they always say, "one door closes, another door opens". And it almost always works that way....you are amazing--great things will happen for you. With or without that degee :)

Linda said...

or degree LOL!

Miss Bunny said...

Sorry to hear that didn't work out, but things like that usually are for the best I think. It usually helps me to knaw on a big willow stick. Maple will do in a pinch.