Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I thought it was just me.

Did anyone see the survey of American religions that was published in the Washington Post yesterday? This "Religious Landscape Survey" conducted by the Pew Forum of Religious and Public Life, asked 35K American adults about their religion. They determined that
- 40% of Americans have changed their religious affiliation since childhood
- Both Protestants & Catholics are losing membership
- The "religious nones" are growing with people who consider themselves "Spiritual but not religious"

I live in such a diverse area that I was surprised at the low % of Jewish, Muslim, Buddhists in America. I know more and more people who are merging Buddhism with their Christianity.

Does this all mean that people are thinking more? or that we are less committed?

6 comments:

just me said...

I think what it means is that people no longer feel compelled to follow the religion they were raised in. Also, I think a lot has to do with intermarriage. When our grandparents (or whoever came over) were young, there was a lot of pressure to stay within your own ethnic (and religious) group. Not true today.

BTW, it does not surprise me that the Catholics are losing people right and left. I know a lot of (former) Catholics who are married to Jews - some are even raising Jewish children!

Unknown said...

Uh,oh, a religious post and a question...I feel myself freezing up. I'll have to get back to you later with my actual answer. I don't want to get it wrong. Hehe

John said...

Greeny, go ahead and throw caution to the wind. If you get it wrong she won't send you to hell. At least I think she won't. She may have more power than I give her credit for.

I agree with justme though. A lot has to do with the transient nature of our country. We move from place to place, we lose ties with family, we feel less obligation to the commitments we made as children, and so we look for that which most fits our needs. Sounds cynical, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Linda said...

It may have something to do with the amount of information at our fingertips. I had never heard of Taoism or even Buddhism when I was growing up as a Southern Baptist. When I discovered their principles it made it much harder to believe that God would not want me to dance.....

Mom said...

Seems like James has had similar thoughts. check out his blog
http://james-exploringtheword.blogspot.com/

AM Kingsfield said...

I just started reading a great book called "Eat Pray Love" and this writer is describing some of my thoughts exactly. Maybe I'll say more when I finish it. Seems like it might be a while.