Sunday, March 02, 2008

I can't remember if I said it on my blog, but I know in conversation that I have compared my current feelings about raising my children, edging into teenage-hood, to the time when the tide recedes from the beach before the tsunami hurls in. I know it's coming soon, but it's not here yet.

This weekend felt like the tides began to turn and the waves are headed for shore.

Nothing terrible. All manageable. All, in a way expected. This weekend just felt like an onslaught for me. Combine that with the first weekend of cookie booths for the girls scouts, a cat with a malicious pee-ing habit, and you can see why I took a nap today.

Aahh, a tall glass of Chardonnay and my book...

My sweetheart did ride in on the first wave, helped cook dinner and shuffle kids in order to take me to the Baltimore symphony. It was wonderful once we finally slogged our way there. They played the score to a Charlie Chaplin movie that they showed: City Lights 1931. I had never seen a whole Chaplain movie before. (Technically I still haven't because the two martinis and the warm theater made for a moment or two of drowsing.)

6 comments:

just me said...

Is this boyfriend/girlfriend stuff? Try not to panic... I have already dealt with that issue w/E this year... I just keep reminding myself it's only high school and not to stress too much.

It also helps that by and large I trust her judgment.

MarkEC said...

Can we ride out those waves on a couple of those cool floats with the drink holders? ;-)

Unknown said...

Yes, alcohol helps when riding the waves. Napping is a close second.

This is the hardest thing I've ever done- these little science projects of mine.
I have their dad who more and more is coming up beside me to help(part of that is I am reaching out to him and part is he is realizing his role more). And I am making headway into understanding how to raise these kids.

This job makes me crazy at times and it takes so much energy. That's what I mean when I say I feel used up. But learning to freak out less and relax more is very hard. I put a lot of pressure on myself to make every action count with them and to be everything they need. Crazy, huh? I haven't figured out a happy medium.
Sounds like you have some great help in your corner. Congrats on that! I'm excited for you, really!

AM Kingsfield said...

I love those chairs with the cup holders.

Part of it is the new entry of boyfriends. My oldest has always made good friend choices. I trust her, but I remember my own self at her age and I worry.

It is like a monumental science project. The problem is all the variables I hadn't considered!

Linda said...

Breathe deep. And trust....yourself and the values you have instilled. And buy stock in chardonnay....

Anne said...

I'm taking notes, I'll be here in no time, but I hope it takes longer.