Monday, February 18, 2008

I should probably get a new computer. My five year old laptop is having increasing issues and doesn't keep up with my new business involving lots of photography and advertisement graphics. My kids are all campaigning for more access, and if anyone is getting a new computer around here, it's gonna be me.

Two of my main tech support allies are recommending a Mac, as is the art editor of the magazine. Everyone says I will never regret it. But will all my stuff convert? Will I still be able to network with my old computer?

I am so intimidated by new learning curves, especially where technology is concerned. Generally, I underutilize all my technology: camera, microwave, iTunes, cell phone, computers. I hate taking time to re-learn simple things on a new system. I just want to e-mail something, make an invoice, or attach a photo. I'll have to re-learn everything.

I walked into an Apple store and tried fiddling with a sample Mac laptop. No right click on the mouse. Where is all that stuff? I felt myself start to constrict, like when you call HP tech support and they say you have to call Verizon who says it is a MicroSoft problem. ack!

I walked out of the store and decided to decide later.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, man, I know what you mean with avoiding new technology or old technology.
You've seen my photos I've post- does it look like I have read the manuel? And my mother was making fun of me- my MOTHER- about not knowing what to set my microwave on for certain cooking times. In my defense, I can set my clock when the power goes out without the aid of a manuel.
Good lucik and make sure you get some medication if you choose to change over....

Anne said...

Buy a three-button mouse and, voila, you have right-click!

Come away from the dark side!

MarkEC said...

I was going to mention that mouse thing.. but had to check with the daughter. I haven't right-clicked much in the last 20 years. ;-) Oh, and yes you can connect to a Windows network... it looks quite easy.

The learning curve is a gentle one... but no pressure! ;-)

Linda said...

don't do it! those mac people are a bit,,,,well,,,, shall we say different? next thing you know you'll be using linux.

just me said...

What a timely topic - our 5yo IBM PC seems to have bitten the dust yesterday. The idea of a) getting the stuff off it - of course we never back up, and b) setting up a new one, with DSL, etc, was enough to keep me awake last night.

Hubby's laptop is finally with the computer geek, after being out of commission for about 2 mos. Only E's computer is working - thank goodness for small favors. But she can't print - ARGH!

And I just learned that at work we will all be getting new computers in the next 6 weeks - with Vista. Which I hear is no fun.

Anne said...

If MarkEC and I have to personally install Macs in all of Bowie, (at least GW) we will. And there's nothing wrong with Linux, have that here at work.

Come away from the dark side.
Please.

just me said...

Funny you should say that, Anne. Hubby is threatening to go Mac just to get away from Windows.

Can we do that and still network with Windows-based laptops?

Anne said...

Sure, our network has two macs and two [choke] windows machines