Sunday, February 03, 2008

Do you believe in old home remedies or have any that work for you?

I dated a guy who said, and believed, that if you rubbed a potato peel on your wart, then threw away the peel outside and never looked back at the peel, that your wart would be gone by the time the peel biodegraded.

I ask because I went to a Naturopathic doctor about my ankle. She prescribed castor oil packs for my ankle. I'm to cut the toes off a tube sock, soak it in castor oil, pull it over my injured ankle, wrap it in plastic, and sleep in that for, I can't remember, a few weeks.

So I tried it, although it seemed real weird. Oddly, my ankle did feel better on the first morning. I think it had to do with the warmth trapped in by the plastic. It doesn't appear to be harmful, although it isn't very sexy. So I'm trying it.

What weird medicine have you tried?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So how long are you going to keep this going? And are you having that much of a problem with your foot?

I haven't tried anything yet but my niece had some warts she wanted off so she kept duct tape wrapped on them and they really did go away within 2 weeks.
I also heard a banana peel taped to a wart will remove it.
Oddly enough, I just bought a book with homeopathic remedies today in the workroom from a company that sets up periodically.
I am usually not a big person on buying whole books about medicine but I was sold when I cracked this sucker open (4 inches tall) to hypothyroidism and it went over the symptoms, normal tests to diagnose and then launched into remedies both medical and homeopathic. Very in depth. (And I have 17 of the 30 possible symptoms).

AM Kingsfield said...

I have hypothyroidism. My doc caught it on a routine check. When he described the symptoms & benefits of meds, I asked,
"So if I take this medicine, I'll have more energy, better skin, and lose weight."
He said yes.
I haven't missed a day since. I think it did help, although I can still check symptoms on that list. The Naturopathic doctor said for this, the traditional medicine is the best treatment. Go see your doc.

MarkEC said...

I am new to the herbs, oils, etc., growing up with a doctor in the family it was always by the "book", prescriptions, OTC stuff. I do recall when living in England having to take a spoonful of cod liver oil once... yuck!