Monday, November 19, 2007

I must've heard a dozen sources say that this fall would be quick and brown due to the drought conditions of the earlier fall.
They were clearly wrong. The colors this fall have been spectacular. I drive around in awe. The kids and I keep pointing out trees to each other.
"Look at that one!"

This picture is one of my favorite places on earth. We simply call it the tree tunnel. My kids & I climbed into one for our family portrait (which I don't have in digital format.) Every time I drive through the tree tunnel, I wish I had my camera. Although I was a day or two past peek, here's what it looked like today.


I love the Greek mythology explaining the seasons: that the autumn colors were Ceres' last hurrah before her daughter Persephone, had to go spend a few months a year in Hades, although it is a little sad and unfair.

Life goes in cycles like that, doesn't it? Things are going along well, getting more beautiful by the day, and before you know what happened, things seem to be past peak. A time of barren dormancy is coming. You can feel it in the wind. But that is just really making way for a new beginning, not too far off, but easy to forget about when it's freezing.

One of my favorite quotes is
"To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with Spring." -George Santayana

9 comments:

Mary Kate said...

oh i miss the tree tunnel!!
i've stolen your picture for my facebook profile because i miss it so much!

julie said...

I sometimes think that I am hopelessly in love with Spring but fall is my favorite season...but in life...yes, I am hopelessly in love with Spring.

Anne said...

you should do a flip book of the tree tunnel, take a picture every month for a year. Or at least post one.

Mom said...

This is a sweet post.
The seasons of life make it a fascinating journey.

Linda said...

Rhia & I walked under the tree tunnel just yesterday. The leaves are up to our shins-- so much fun to kick them up in the air as we march. The colors are spectacular- I was worried too but Thank God! He has colored our world again.

John said...

You are so philosophical. I can't keep up. Where is the tree tunnel? Is it in a neighborhood or what? Sounds cool.

MarkEC said...

I love that family portrait! I do enjoy the change of seasons, and when it starts getting too cold, perhaps a change of location?

Tracy said...

I miss the tree tunnel too!
Thanks for bringing me "home" if only for a few seconds.

Enjoy fall on the east coast. It's not so awe inspiring here in the desert.

Candy said...

I love the tree tunnel!! It's fantastic! I agree with Anne. I'd love to see that same photo at least 4 times with the progression of the seasons. Beautiful!!