Saturday, November 10, 2007

I have had a week of unexpected medical news this week.

On Wednesday evening, I accompanied my nephew to the ER for stitches in a finger that was spurting blood. Apparently you should not wave to people while operating power tools.

Then yesterday, I heard that follow-up lab work was necessary for my youngest. I suspected she might have mono and had insisted on blood work. The results, her doctor informed me, looked like she might have juvenile diabetes. She said she would call two hospitals while I pulled my daughter out of school for more bloodwork. When I heard "overnight in the hospital" and "insulin training," my hearing kind of went out of focus.

Diabetes isn't the worst thing that your kid can have, although I was "hoping" for mono. My mind was racing about immediate and long term problems that were posed by this possibility. So I prepared for the worst and hoped for the best - which fortunately I received.

The second tests were in the normal range, although further testing is necessary. The zebra was just a horse. With a few lurches, we were able to shift back into Plan A for the evening.
whew!
What a wild ride that was. I don't plan to get in line for that ride again.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, I hate rides like that, sometimes the guy sends you around again because there is no one else in line, and you want to yell "let me off" but you don't want to alarm your companions

MarkEC said...

It was a roller coaster of thoughts and emotions yesterday... glad the car came back on the tracks and safely into the station.

Mom said...

Life with you is always exciting. That was a scary ride.

Unknown said...

Oh, man, that is too scary.
I am certainly glad it turned out well.
I lead such an easy life considering the things I could be trying to manage. I don't think I am grateful enough for the easy ride.

Linda said...

Wow. You are certainly getting an opportunity to see your grace under pressure self. Hope you get to see your good time girl self real soon!

just me said...

whew - glad to hear everything turned out okay. You have certainly had more than your share of "stuff" this fall! Hope next year is better.

AM Kingsfield said...

Thanks guys!