Monday, July 23, 2007

I ran out of gas today for the first time ever.
Ultimately, it is my fault and I suppose I should direct my anger at myself. But I'm mad at Toyota too. Here's why.

I have a tank that supposedly holds 11.9 gallons of gas.
I have a computer read-out that tells me the mpg I'm getting on this particular tank: 47mpg.
Although my "add fuel" light was on, I had only driven @450 miles. So by my calculations - and I'm an English major - I still had at least 50 more miles 'til empty, leaving myself a cushion at that.

So my car just stopped and seven different dashboard panel lights came on. I thought it was a problem with the hybrid battery that appeared to be depleted.

No. The service techs said the Hybrid gas tanks are bladders rather than traditional tanks. Sometimes it doesn't "see" the remaining gas. So even though I've driven my Prius that many miles before, I shouldn't let it get below 1/4 tank.

That would have been useful piece of information for the salesman to have mentioned. Everything I've heard is that you get better gas mileage when the tank is low. Hybrid buyers are generally concerned with gas mileage.

Even if I had pushed my car to the gas station less than a mile away, I would have still had to bring it in for service to have the computerized dashboard alerts reset.

So it could have been worse. I have my car. I wasn't stuck on a sweltering day on a busy highway. But I lost 4 hours, $65, and a little of my pride. I didn't even have Harry Potter with me to read.

7 comments:

MarkEC said...

Your anger is justified... they should tell you things like that! I also think carrying the Harry Potter book around could affect your gas mileage.

just me said...

with regular cars, they always say not to let it get below 1/4 tank because of the fuel injectors. so I guess the same guideline applies to hybrids, but for a different reason.

sorry it was such a big deal - but I guesss you can just chalk it up to experience.

btw, hubby did that once, on a freezing cold, rainy day - so being thankful for small favors is probably a good idea :)

julie said...

You should have called me. We are due for a long conversation. love you and sorry that you had to experience that.

Mom said...

Bless your little heart!

Dtodd said...

Call me an oldtimer, but I remember when all you needed to do when you ran out of gas was to add gas to the car. Trips to the dealership weren't required.

Miss Bunny said...

If you were a bunny like me you'd just hop around town and eat hay for fuel! I'm glad it wasn't a hot day - I can't hop if it's over 85 degrees. Sounds very frustrating. I would have to chew wood after that.

John said...

I ran out of fuel once in a bus and it took two mechanics on the side of the road 10 hours to get it running again. I'd gotten air in the lines and that's a no-no with deisel systems. Never did that again! Bladders instead of tanks, huh. Never woulda thunk it.