Saturday, April 21, 2007

My hometown is getting its fifth Starbucks.
I like Starbucks. My teenage daughter is delighted that it is within walking distance.
But this Starbucks feels wrong to me.

Because Starbucks was willing to pay a higher rent, the mall management company chose not to renew the contract for its previoius resident, my vet.

I really liked my vet, Dr. Moore. Not only was she conveniently located, she was a good businesswoman. She was kind and generous.

My children's first kitten, adopted to help with our sorrow over the divorce, was put to sleep in that space. Mojo Jojo had a congential neurological defect that was worsening. It seemed the kind choice for him, even though he was still just a kitten.

And now people will be drinking carmel machiattos, frappachinos, and double shot espressos there. It just doesn't seem right. How much coffee does this town need? And will it still smell like a vet's office in there?

5 comments:

Mom said...

I lift my sugar-free vanilla skim latte in toast to Mojo, to Rocko, and to all the other pets who have made our lives better.

Dtodd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne said...

Here's to Grenadine and Linnaeus, Waggles and Boots! Here! Here!

just me said...

Location aside, I think this town has enough Starbucks already. I saw yet another one "coming soon" yesterday.

Dtodd said...

I'm in favor of coffee shops, just not Starbucks. I'm a coffee drinker, but their coffee is too strong for me. How about a Caribou Coffee or Seattle's Best?