Monday, April 16, 2007

Between my daughters' play rehearsals, my son's lacrosse, and my reporting job, I'm logging in a lot of driving hours. So I have returned to audio books. I love it. Now the driving doesn't seem like such lost time.

I just finished listening to "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. You may remember the hubub about this book. The author said it was a memoir and got on Oprah. After Oprah he admitted it was fiction, pissing off the big O.

whatever.
It is a compelling story that you should avoid if you can't stand cussing. If you think your life is a mess, this is sure to give you some perspective. I'm sure he's got you beat.

The bottom line, whether or not the author meant it, is that a little love goes a long way. Imperfect love, love grudgingly given, weak dependent love, the hope of love, any love at all is worth living for.
Anyone out there read it?

Do you think you can have too much love? I think it is possible. I have declined offers of love because of its dependent and smothering nature. I suppose either extreme can be overwhelming. Maybe some kinds of love are easier to balance than others.

3 comments:

Mom said...

There is no such thing as too much love, but real love is neither dependent nor smothering. Love is nurturing. I have been been immersed in love all my life. I am blessed.

Unknown said...

I wanted the smothering kind of love when I was younger. Now I don't seem to need much to be happy. I have had my share I suppose.
However, I can see the people in the world that don't know love and it pains me.

Miss Bunny said...

I like smothering love for a while - holding my whole body really securely and rubbing my ears. When I get tired of it I bite 'em. You can't have too much love if you just bite 'em when it's enough.