Friday, April 13, 2007

I've started reading a book called "Religious Literacy" by Stephen Prothero. I saw him interviewed on my favorite show, The Daily Show, and interviewed in a magazine, but I forget which. Anyway, his point is that to be effective citizens, we need to know about Christianity and other major world religions. Religions are not quarantined in their section of the world anymore. Since misunderstandings can be deadly, we should be informed.

Here are some of the questions he asks his college students:
1. Name the four Gospels.
2. List as many of the Ten Commandments as you can.
3. What is the holy book of Islam?
4. Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.
5. Name a sacred text of Hinduism.
6. What are the seven sacraments of Catholicism?
7. What are the two religion clauses in the First Amendment?
8. What is Ramadan?

Even after reading some of the book and taking the quiz at the beginning, there are several questions I cannot answer.
How about you?

4 comments:

Anne said...

(Before reading the book) Nos. 4 & 5 are totally foreign to me. I could make pretty good stabs at nos. 2, 6 & 7. No. 8 I could get right on a multiple choice test. 1 and 3 are easy.

So, do I pass?

AM Kingsfield said...

Well, maybe. He didn't give a score range with comments like in a magazine, but he did count lists with individual points. So if you could name all 10 commandments, that would be 10 points. I would guess the best you'd get in that case is a C.

Some answers you've heard of, but just don't recall. Like for #5, I didn't realize the Kama Sutra was considered a sacred text. I suppose it is the Hindu equivalent to Song of Solomon with illustrations.

AM Kingsfield said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I plan to show this list to my kids and see what they know. Then it will open up a discussion and learning experience. I'll have to look most of it up to get the right answer.