Wednesday, April 25, 2007



Here's my dear friend Julie's cozy Texas home where I ran away to last weekend to catch my breath and rejuvenate. There is a calm about my friend Julie that left me feeling quite rejuvenated. Mostly we talked, never a shortage. Here's one of our weird conversations.


You know how we use the metaphor of luggage to describe our own emotional status: as in, "She's bringing a lot of baggage into that realationship"?
Well, Julie & I were eating our forth Mexican lunch in so many days at the expansive Abilene airport, listening to the repeated warnings about securing luggage and we decided to see if we could extend the metaphor.

We're all on our own journeys. Everyone has baggage. Sometimes it is just a backpack with cartoon characters on it. Sometimes it is a cute little matching set. Some baggage is unwieldy and debilitating. It sure is nice when someone helps you with your luggage. But if they have too much of their own, or just little experience traveling, they can't help.
All of that I knew already about my luggage and my emotional baggage.

But what about if you leave it unattended, like they kept warning us not to? Do we have to guard our emotional baggage like our travel luggage? Can our baggage, in the wrong hands, lead to catastrophe? Hopefully someone would just turn it in so we could reclaim it.

Whaddya think?

4 comments:

Linda said...

I think most people are too busy with their own baggage to even think about picking someone else's up.... unless of course, they think they can stuff theirs in yours and make you carry both.

just me said...

luggage aside :)
you're very lucky to have a friend like that you can rejuvenate with every now and then.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful get-a-way! Yay for friends such as her. And that home was so comfy-looking to relax in.
Baggage. I've been dragging around too much and I'm looking to donate some empty bags to Goodwill so I can lighten my load. Gonna get a fanny pack.
That yolinna makes me laugh.



That yolinna makes me laugh.

Candy said...

I think I wish I had been there for that conversation. I could have gone there with you two in a heartbeat. And I left my emotional baggage unattended for years. All it got me was more baggage to unpack once I decided to unload it.

It was a pleasure to meet you and share a Mexican lunch. Hopefully we can do it again - soon.