Tuesday, April 08, 2008

I can't get John Mayer's new song "Say" out of my head. I have it downloaded onto my iPod and play it often, followed by that sappy sounding "100 Years" by Five for Fighting. I don't have time right now to figure out the slick music downloading like my friend Dan does. You'll have to settle for these cool lyrics scrolling boxes and hum.

It occurs to me that Mayer should write a corollary song, "Shut up when you need to shut up."

I have gotten better at saying what I need to say, but then I often keep talking and ruin everything. Which are you better at: Saying what you need to say, or shutting up when you need to shut up? Which do you think is more important?


- John Mayer Lyrics


100 Years Lyrics

5 comments:

Mom said...

My first thought was that most folks learn to say less. Then I looked at the video on You Tube. The song is the theme from the movie Bucket List, the movie about what to do before you die. The things that you need to say are I love you. I'm sorry. Forgive me. I forgive you. I love you.

AM Kingsfield said...

Aahh. I keep hearing about that movie, but don't really know anything about it. I haven't seen any trailers. Maybe I should watch tv.

John said...

I really have to work hard to shut my mouth.

just me said...

I find that I sometimes say too much, which in my position as a clergy spouse can get me into trouble. Even after nearly 17 years in the pulpit, I still find I have to work at the skill of listening more and saying less.

btw, I don't think the bucket list is in theaters anymore. you may have to wait for the video.

John said...

I thought the Bucket list was that large steel container my wife leaves by the front door with the paper and tools in it for when I wake up on Saturday morning.