Thursday, October 25, 2007

Having sat on this couch for a month while I recover from this leg break, I have a few observations to share about television.

I have access to nearly 1000 channels with my state-of-the-art fiber-optic programming on my high definition television. My primary conclusion is that I could get away with only two or three of them easily. There are few truly original shows. The talk shows are the same. The news is depressing (unless it is fake.) The dramas are predictable. The game shows are annoying.

My children are far from this stage in their relationship with television. They can watch the same insipid sitcoms for hours. I have much lower Hannah Montana stamina.

I have enjoyed the music channels I found up in the 6 & 7 hundreds. I like them because there are absolutely no commercials (unless you count it for the music industry.) They display the information about the songs so that the non-musically aware, like me, can figure out who it is I’m looking for on iTunes.

I found a cool show that speaks to my inner Mr. Rogers on the Discovery Channel called “How It’s Made”. I’ve taken quick trip through manufacturing processes that require curious components, fascinating machinery and manual dexterity: plate glass, toothpicks, bike helmets, bathtubs, computers, aluminum.

I investigated reality television, but I always realize that I have other real-life things to do that are of more relevance, even though I am primarily sedentary.

The one reality show that I was most amazed by was one called “Cheaters”. Have you heard of this show? Some sleazy guy in a black suit speaks to heartbroken women, or men I suppose, who suspect their significant other has embarked on another relationship. The guy in the suit speaks in a tone of feigned concern and support while deliberately steering this grieving, emotionally raw person into catching the object of their affection in a compromising situation on national television.

Everyone is making bad decisions, but the one who irritates me most was the guy in the suit. As the shaken, raging heartbreakee is trying to drive away from the scene of their self-inflicted, public humiliation, sleazy suit guy (with the lights & cameras & mics behind him) stops the car and expresses his concern for her safety as she attempts to make a get-away.

It was so painful to watch on so many levels. I couldn’t stay tuned in for the whole show. Back to the music channel and blogs.

2 comments:

MarkEC said...

I found that show "How It's Made", very interesting! I also like "Good Eats", a bit of a geeky cooking show, and I found "Junkyard Wars" has made a return. But I have to agree.. with a thousand channels it is still hard to find something to watch. At least there is music, with or without Vicodin. Oh.. and "Cheaters", I can't watch it very long either!

Anne said...

I didn't even know there was a show called Cheaters and by the sounds of it, I'm glad I've never stumbled upon it. I like How It's Made, stumbled on that once, but I never remember to TiVo it or find out when it's regularly on.