Monday, June 18, 2007

I had my lunch on Saturday on Taylor's Island, a small residential island the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake.

I learned that softshell crabs have a very small window of edibility. These crabs, caught as "peelers" are molting. Within 4 hours of molting, their new shells are hardened again.

So they are kept in these troughs and monitored. I am a novice at eating softshelled crabs and don't even know how to cook them. But it was fascinating to see who the crabbers deal with their catch.

Our lunch was fresh off the boat. They were delicious.

2 comments:

MarkEC said...

Place dressed soft-shell crabs in a seasoned flour mixture (salt, pepper, Old Bay seasoning, or purchase a mix from your local seafood shop) to bread. Coat well with the flour mixture.

Place breaded crabs in a frying pan and fry in 375 degree oil.

Cook crabs on each side, turning once, until golden brown (about 4 minutes on each side).

Drain on paper towels.

Sounds easy enough.. may have to try them sometime!

John said...

It's been so long since I had real crab. I don't know the difference between soft shell and the ones that I used to get but I remember sitting down with a bunch of crabs and a few beers and loving every messy minute of it. Now it's the crab legs on the chinese buffet that have been overcooked and taste like sweet rubber.