Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Well, I hope I'm surfing the final ripples of the theater tsunami that roared through here last weekend. A lot of loose ends stacked up leaving the beginning of this week to catch up. My organizational skills are about as good as FEMA's.

As I was operating two scenery curtains this past weekend, I had some observations on Shakespeare's famous As You Like It passage, "All the world's a stage."


I like this metaphor because don't we all play different roles? The people who know us best have seen us backstage. They help us into our costume and cue us with our lines. They move the scenery into proper position and direct the lighting. But they have seen the facade sideways and from behind. They have known that this is a role, and have been willing to help us shine. And sometimes, we let them play their role and we operate their curtain.

Sounds like a parent. Or a friend.

1 comment:

julie said...

Thanks for helping me dress and putting up the scenery and sometimes creating a smokescreen for me...you know that many times you have done all of those for me. Thanks. I know that you would do it again if needed and for that I am grateful.