Friday, February 17, 2006

Yesterday I did not get to go to my kitchen remodel job because my kids were home from school. So I took the time to re-compose my first blog. For those of you who saw the original, I hope I got it close. In future blogs, I will resist the old English teacher impulse to correct everything. So there will be typos. I just have to learn to live with that. Hopefully you don't care.

I wanted to tell you one of the highlights of my day on Thursday. I was watching Don puzzle together the trim that goes around the cabinets at the floor in this soon-to-be-beautiful kitchen. It was like one of those geometry word problems come to life, trying to get the right angles to fit seemlessly together.

On the last section "we" were working on, the panel under the cabinets called the toe-kick had to have a hole cut in it for the air vent. There was a hole, but it had to be cut higher so the piece of trim would fit in under the vent cover. (Hopefully you all can picture what I'm talking about.)

Since it was in a place that you could only see by lying flat on your stomach in the kitchen, I got to make the cut in the wood. The tool I would be using was one that I had seen Stan and Don use before called a Fein Tool. (My apologies to the Fein family for calling it a fine tool in a previous blog. It is a cool tool.)

I was nervous. That tool really vibrates in your hands and I was close to these beautiful cabinets. I wasn't sure I could hold it steady enough. But Don had helped me mark exactly where I needed to cut and assured me I could do it. (Thanks Don.)

And I did. It was cool. But I had to lay down flat on my stomach with the side of my face pressed to the floor. This is the point where I knew I needed a Construction Girl bandana. I also learned that Construction Girls are dirty girls. That's what you get when you lay down on the kitchen floor with a carpenter and his power tools.

So without Don or Stan or the electrician noticing, I saved the 10 inch piece of wood I trimmed off to show my mother later. She would be so proud of me. I had worried about my self-imposed censorship of this blog because I knew my mother would be reading it. She put me at ease after I published my first blog by saying, "So now you are a professional screwer." You see, this dirty Construction Girl comes by it honestly.

I love you Mom!

No comments: