Monday, February 20, 2006

Here's a helpful construction tip for anyone working with a caulking gun in the winter. I was working with a product called Liquid Nails. Sounds like something a manicurist would use, although Construction Girls don't have silly fingernails. To use the product you first have to snip off the tip. If you have a cool gun, there's a little hole in the side that will snip the tip right off.
Once I loaded the gun with the tube of sticky adhesive, I squeezed the trigger but it would hardly budge. I tried squeezing with two hands, which made it difficult to hold the gun steady. I was afraid it was the first test of my strength as a girl on this job. Although I wished I didn't have to, I had to let Don try to squeeze out the adhesive. He too had difficulty.
Here's why.
In order to make the sticky paste squeeze out smoothly, you have to heat up the cylinder first.
hhmmm
I guess I already knew that.

2 comments:

Anne said...

CG, you need to find some quiet time with a nice guy with a big tool box. Oh, yeah. Your mom reads this, doesn't she.

Never mind.

AM Kingsfield said...

If it takes more than four hours to heat up, you are doing it wrong.

I can't speak for cleaning lady's methods, but I bet you could use a little elbow grease.

Anne, don't I know it!

Peggy, you just really shouldn't leave any tools out in the cold to begin with.

Jean, I'm going to stop by the bookstore tonight. Thanks. I am definitely learning about more than home repair. And that Liquid Nails doesn't come off for days. Too bad it doens't come in better colors. Glad you're enjoying it.

And are the deleted comments intriguing? Don't you wonder what somebody thought better of saying?