Thursday, January 07, 2010

I need to replace my whiny post from the end of last year. Maybe I should've tried to end my blogoyear on a higher note.

My Christmas vacation was a bit different this year because of the foot surgery and requisite narcotics. I was easily exhausted and stressed, trying everyone's patience. We all managed to get through with warm memories. Lucky for me, Mark packed me up and took me to Williamsburg. My kids went with their dad & his girlfriend to see their Ohio friends and relatives. When we were all reunited, we appreciated each other much more and all the rush of the holidays was past.

(Warning: gross medical discussion coming in the next paragraph.)
My foot is healing nicely, although it continues to be annoying. The screw removal left a big incision and stitches that are out now and getting more comfortable every day. But I had that weird thing fixed with my toe which required a tiny surgical shishkabob skewer inserted into my toe. Here's the gross part. There's a little pull tab sticking out of the top of my toe, like a thumbtack. It's gross. I can feel it. If my sock touches it, or it gets cold, I can feel it, which is often. I can't walk normally with this boot on or without being able to use the tip of that toe. I walk a bit like Frankenstein. Mark said I should just put my hands out in front of me when I walk. The pull tab is there because next month they will pull it out - yikes! I'm afraid of wiggling my other toes. It's hard to hold your toes still - especially once you start thinking about it. My foot looks like it was caught in a bear trap.

Anyway, when I start to feel sorry for myself, I think of my friend Tom who is adjusting to a prosthetic leg. It must be exhausting, physically and emotionally. I need to stop whining.

And my kids have been helping out more and learning a lot. For expediency, I've been sending them into the store while I wait in the car. They've been learning all sorts of important things, like carts are helpful, and if you don't buy it, you can't eat it. Our Christmas decorations may be up until February, but at least the tree is pretty.

And Williamsburg was a fun getaway. It's not a hopping nightlife spot, but I wasn't in the mood for hopping night life anyway. We saw a play and heard a crystal concert and ate delicious food. I borrowed Mark's mom's wheelchair and let Mark push me around the colonial section, which was pretty, even if it was cold. I even managed to do a little shopping. Plus we saw Avatar and It's Complicated in a Movie Tavern that served beer & nachos and more. It was kinda weird watching the 3-D adventure and realizing the waiter in front of me handing me a beer was really there.

6 comments:

Maureen said...

I have always wanted to see Williamsburg at Christmas.
BTW Tom gets fitted for his mold tomorrow and if all fits he should be up and walking next week.
I am having surgery next Friday for trigger finger and carpel tunnel on my right hand and my left on Jan 29th. My ring fingers on both hands have been locked for about two weeks.
Makes life interesting

AM Kingsfield said...

I thought you had an itchy trigger finger.
Good for Tom. Best of luck to you both.

Mom said...

Pretty good first post of the year. as you know life can get complicated.

Unknown said...

It does sound like a strange but interesting holiday. In the scheme of things, it is handle-able but I would wager, it is more than irritating.
Also sounds like good things came out of it.
Lucky dog! Beer and a movie plus a trip that would be fabulous.
Hope you find some comfort.

Linda said...

That Crystal concert is really cool! I miss you, my friend. Sorry it's been such a tough time, been sending you energy and peace. Hope to connect soon :)

Sharon said...

Went to Williamsburg last Christmas. It was pretty. I saw the crystal concert. It was really amazing. Hope your foot continues to heal and you're able to get around easier soon.