Thursday, October 08, 2009

I am delighted that an Amish Farmer's Market has moved fairly close to my home. Shopping there is an event, a delicious one too. So when I was there yesterday, I checked to see if they had organic milk. (After having done research over the last year on organic foods, I will never buy commercially produced milk for my family.) They did. It was from Trickling Springs Creamery in PA and came in adorable glass jars. I get a deposit return when I bring them back for a refill.

The difference, besides the usual differences in organic milk, was this 2% milk was not homogenized. So when I opened it, there was a thick layer of cream on top, almost like a wax seal. I couldn't even disrupt it by shaking it. I poked it with a butter knife and splashed myself. My kids were horrified to see clumps of cream in their milk. They had never experienced this before. They were not amused, thinking I had gone too far this time. I thought it tasted good.

I remember as a little girl that we still had a milk box on the front porch. I don't really remember the milk, but we used the box for a variety of dropping-off transactions, and for climbing on the check the mailbox.

Have you ever had non-homogenized milk? Do you remember a milkman?

10 comments:

Anne said...

I remember the milk man, we had a aluminum box on our porch too, but that was a long time ago.

I wonder if I can make good mozz with milk from the Amish market?

TAG said...

Remember the milk man? I helped grandpa milk the cows. So that sorta (a little, ok play along with me here) I was the milk man. This despite the fact that grandpa stopped milking cows before I was 10.

Your kids may laugh now, but wait until you make real whipped cream. Do that and they will never laugh again. Combine with some fresh home made Pumpkin Pie and all you need to do is give me some GPS coordinates and I'll be there to help you demonstrate just how good that can be. :D

TAG

just me said...

I grew up in suburban New York and even we had a milk man - complete with metal box like Anne remembers.

We were also among the last people in NY to still have a "seltzer man." My dad still loves to drink seltzer - he calls it the elixer of youth. (He's about to turn 84 so I'm not arguing!) But now he has to buy it at the grocery store.

Maureen said...

When we bought our house 17 years ago the milk box was still on the carport. I filled it with dirt and made it a planter.

Tracy said...

We can order raw milk through our Organic Food Co-op but I've never ordered it. My girlfriend orders it and they drink it all the time. My DH would have NO part of that what-so-ever. :-) I drink FF Organic milk myself and everybody else drinks 2% from the store.

AM Kingsfield said...

Tracy, if your DH did a google search on "somatic cell counts" in milk, he would not let you buy commercial milk for your kids anymore. Some say ignorance is bliss. In this case, it's disgusting. But I don't think I'd go for the raw milk. I'm pro-Pasteurization.

Maureen, you are so clever.

I never heard of a seltzer man. I imagine him with a trail of fizzy bubbles.

I was thinking about using the cream, Tag, for a soup. We've made homemade butter before. I should try the whipped cream.

Anne, let me know when the mozzarella's ready for sampling.

julie said...

We also had a milkman. And our box was also aluminum. I don't really remember the milk, either. I only remember that it was the place to put things in....secret notes, grass and flowers, borrowed or forgotten things returned, polaroid pictures that were clues, Barbies, rocks from the driveway and snow.
Thanks for pulling out those memories for me.

Unknown said...

I remember the metal box on our front porch and the milk man but I don't remember how the milk was.

My dad told us over and over again about when he was young and the milk jug would be full of milk with cream floating on top.

I sure wish I hadn't Googled what you warned us not to Google.
We have an organic dairy close by that used to stock our local shelves but they were hit last year by the tornado and they have yet to recover.

Miss Bunny said...

Yep, I remember that silver box well. They still deliver in boxes like that in our neighborhood. Maybe I should check it out.

Rainey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.