Wednesday, October 21, 2009

This morning I saw a shooting star.

Tipped off by Anne, I put on my winter coat and grabbed my coffee and went out before the sunrise and stared at the sky. Only a few stars were visible, more obscured by the lights below than the rising sun.

I thought of my friends in hospitals and my friends who are waiting by their bedsides and in waiting rooms. I thought of loves lost and love found. I thought of each of my children and their endeavors and relationships.

My coffee cooled. The sky brightened. The early birds began their worm patrol.

Then I saw it. A meteor skidded across the sky, a dot of white trailing orange and red.

It reminded me my mom's red peignoir that, after four babies, she relegated to the dress up box. That ruffled scarlet chiffon was the favorite dress up. When a storm was approaching and the winds kicked up before the rain appeared, my sister and my neighbor would put on our flowiest dress ups and go spin in the wind. The luckiest of us got the red peignoir. We were fairies caught in a whirlwind.

How often did that happen? How long ago? How is it that I am the adult now, responsible for so much? When was the last time I ran out in the wind just to thrill at the flutter of my sheer red cape, a frivolous superman?

It all goes by as fast as a piece of stardust burning through the atmosphere, trailing a shower of sacral sparks.

4 comments:

just me said...

I often wonder how I got to be this "old." Weren't we just kids ourselves?

Sorry I missed the meteor this morning. I was probably getting dressed about that time.

Mom said...

sunrise, sunset.
I think I know what to get you for Christmas.

Unknown said...

You are gonna make me cry if you don't stop! Time has gone by too fast and speeds up now that we are taking stock in where and what we are and what we have.
Ive been visiting my memories of sweet times past. And Ive been too sad.

Linda said...

I have beautiful pictures of Cory, Rhia & I with "capes" (the sarongs you see me wear around my shoulders) at the beach. There was a tremendous windstorm and we stood in the wind "flying" and letting them whip around us.

So glad I thought to take pictures, it does go by in a flash. Can't wait to teach the next generation about wind.