Monday, September 28, 2009

I am glad my kids are involved, but it sure does make for a busy September. Every team, troop, and club has their parent organizational meeting in September. Every one of them has a fundraiser too. We are currently selling pizza, nuts, & candles, with coffee, wreathes, mulch, and a few car washes still to come. Sheesh! It's like a second job!

I had fun writing my last two assignments for Taste of the Bay magazine. Due out in October is an article on the Slow Food movement. Have you heard of it? It's a 20 year old organization that started in Italy as a response the the encroachment of fast food chains in Europe. It is basically a support group for people who mean to cook a meal and sit at the table with family and friends instead of eating a burrito on the interstate. They encourage the preservation of heritage plant species and culturally significant cooking styles.

The organics article was difficult in that there was so much information to sift through. I way overshot my word-count budget. Here are two tidbits I learned in the research.

The average American eats double the RDA of grains with 40% of them reporting that none of those servings are whole grains. No wonder.

Also, if you don't want to feel motivated to spend extra for organic milk, then do not google somatic cell counts in milk. I will only tell you that Americans have the most lenient standards on this, which is good if you own a big industrial dairy. I've decided that it is worth the extra $150 a year on organic milk - (we drink a LOT of milk in this house.)

I have to go. There are nine 12-year old girls waking up in the basement after my youngest one's birthday party. I think it was my last party with arts & crafts.

7 comments:

MarkEC said...

Nice pun... "none of those servings are whole grains. No wonder" Are you saying Wonder bread is not healthy? ;-)

Mom said...

I bought organic milk today.

Anne said...

Is it still organic if you add a couple heaps of chocolate milk mix?

Dtodd said...

You should have a look at "Gordon Ramsay's F Word" show on BBC America each day at 5. He's into a lot of the same concepts. He's trying to bring back the tradition of Sunday dinners, raises his own turkeys and pigs and makes sure his kids know where their food comes from, etc.

just me said...

you're welcome for the "free" day off from school Monday :)

AM Kingsfield said...

My best puns are usually unintentional. Thanks for pointing it out.

There is such a thing as organic chocolate.

Is Ramsay's "F-word" the obvious one?

Thanks for the day off, jm. I made the most of it. Happy New Year, btw. (Which I know wasn't Yom Kippur. Rosh Hashanah was last week, right?)

just me said...

happy new year is an appropriate greeting for both... plus on Yom Kippur, wishing a person an easy fast. (btw it wasn't too bad this year - some years are harder than others)