Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Judy Chicago is a modern artist who is most famous for her painting, The Dinner Party. The painting shows a table prepared for a dinner party with famous women. Each place setting is unique to the guest.



This is Women's History Month. So stealing Judy Chicago's idea, who would you set the table for? I'd say a table with more than 8 people is not conducive to conversation. So with which 5-7 women would you want to dine? No rules about living, dead, real or imaginary.

So I think I would pick
Mary Magdalene
Margaret Sanger
Sojourner Truth
Laurie Notaro
and probably Amy Ray & Emily Saliers (the Indigo Girls)

Of course I wouldn't mind having dinner with my twin, Michelle Obama. And it would just be nice to have all my girlfriends over to dinner - especially the ones who live far away.
And my grandmas would be great to see again. My son wanted to see Aphrodite, my daughter Ella Fitzgerald.

So without thinking about it too much, with which women would you care to share some fine wine, delicious food, and a few hours of conversations?

6 comments:

just me said...

Miriam (sister of Moses)
Carly Simon
Doris Kearns Goodwin (historian and fellow baseball fan)
Glenn Close
you

Linda said...

Amy (my spirit guide)
God (in woman form--Holy Spirit?)
Mary, Mother of Jesus
CG, of course :)
Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Annie Lamott
My great grandmother Marguerite

julie said...

Okay, my table will need to be really big...I couldn't narrow it down and I could think of so many more.
the Indigo Girls(of course)
Marian Anderson
Jane Goodall
Ruby Bridges
Madeleine L'Engle
Willa Cather
Margaret Sanger-obvious reasons for me
Michelle Obama
Hillary Clinton
Alice Paul
Lucy Burns
Angela Davis
my grandmother
my daughters
my mom
and you...

AM Kingsfield said...

Oooh, good ones! You guys are so sweet!

Mom said...

Abigail Adams
Martha Washington
Deborah the Judge
Anne Lamott
Eleanor Roosevelt
My paternal grandmother who died when I was an infant. She was widowed before my dad was born and raised 9 children. I want to hear her stories.
Mom
Laurel
You
My granddaughters

julie said...

Ann, I had to include you because I can't imagine having that conversation without afterwards being able to talk about it together for the rest of our lives. Remember that retirement home...with the shuffleboard and the salsa dancing...we can tell all our friends and they won't believe us.