Tuesday, February 10, 2009

So I was squeezing a run through a McDonald's drive-thru between a late audition for Alice in Wonderland and a science fair project assembly (due in the morning and my printer's all smeary!) I ordered myself a grilled Chipotle BBQ snack wrap, tea for Peggy, and sundaes for our girls in the back seat.

I rounded the corner as instructed and pulled up to the first window to pay when the clerk asked, "Do you know who you look like?"

Have you ever been asked that? Who do people tell you that you look like? When I was younger, I was pleased to hear Goldie Hawn. I haven't heard that in decades though. Someone told me I looked like a character on the show Boston Public, but I've never seen that show, so I didn't know if it was a compliment or not. I was wearing my rectangular, black-framed glasses that I wear especially for night driving, so I was running through who it might be when he said...

"You look like Michelle Obama."
what?!
"No one's ever said that to me before," I replied. I sat up taller, smiled, and said thank you.

I turned to Peggy and gave her a fist bump, told Malia and Sasha to settle down in the back seat, and decided that I must really buy a purple dress. I decided he meant that I looked powerful, or smart.

I drove away and unwrapped my snack wrap. It was crispy ranch. I wasn't surprised.

5 comments:

Anne said...

So Michele,

I've been told I look like Meg Ryan, but that was 20 years ago.

just me said...

when in h.s. someone told me I looked like valerie bertinelli - I didn't buy it then and I sure don't now :)

John said...

I never thought about it but you do look sort of like Goldie Hawn. Maybe that's why I think Goldie's so hot.

Unknown said...

Someone told me I look like a news anchor from the CBS affiliate near my mom's. It would be fine except I can't stand the woman!
At the beginning of this decade I resembled Jillian Anderson according to some and was dubbed "Scully". That look has long since vanished.
I think I resemble the "before" picture in a plastic surgery pamphlet now.

Mom said...

If Michele were a blue-eyed blond she would look just like you, except of course she looks much older.