Sunday, January 18, 2009

Last week in the freezing weather I accompanied my daughter's 5th grade class to the Hard Bargain Farm on the eastern shores of the Potomac, right across the river from Mt. Vernon. This actual working farm is on property donated long ago by a couple who wanted the property to be used for education. These kids got just that.
We collected eggs from chickens, milked a cow, slopped pigs, fed calves, collected litter, practiced using binoculars, observed herons and woodpeckers and chickadees. The kids covered themselves with the cattails gone to seed on our river walk and the rest of the day we trailed little wispy seeds like magical fairies.

At the highest point of the property, where their old house is, you can see the Woodrow Wilson bridge, the Capitol, and the Washington Monument. Our guide showed us the best way off that hill was to roll down. What fun! I did it, choosing not to let fear of injury stop me from all the fun. Wow was I dizzy!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Do you want to move to a farm now?

julie said...

I remember Hard Bargain Farm. Fun field trip! I always loved that one. My kids all went there at some point in elementary school. I loved the 6th grade Annapolis trip also. I loved chaperoning field trips.

Unknown said...

Fun! I would get into that kind of field trip myself.

AM Kingsfield said...

It would be fun to have an all adult trip. Now "milk maid" is on my daughter's career possibilities list.