Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I am sipping my glass of champagne that I toasted with my daughter to President Barack Obama, the skin on my cheeks tight from the salt of my tears.

I have always been moved to tears by the song "My Country Tis of Thee" since I saw and heard the song sung in the movie "Glory" by a chorus of black children. That context changes the meaning of "Land where our fathers died." So when Aretha Franklin sang those words, my tears began to flow. My daughter said she expected her to sing "Respect." That might have been good too.

And when the final benediction began with the last verse of "Lift Every Voice and Sing," the words fresh in my mind from church two days ago, the import of the moment drew my tears again.

God of our weary years, God of our silent tears, Thou who has brought us thus far on our way; Thou who hast by thy might led us into the light; keep us forever in the path, we pray.


Obama said
On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.
I feel sad for those who didn't celebrate this moment, who harbor fear, discord, resentment and apathy.

I am filled with hope, bordered by worry.

I thought poet laureate Elizabeth Alexander spoke my feelings with grace:

What if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light. Love with no need to preempt grievance.

In today's sharp sparkle, this winter air, anything can be made, any sentence begun.

On the brink, on the brim, on the cusp -- praise song for walking forward in that light.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I also shed a few tears while watching today.
I share your thoughts, AM. I am hopeful, yet concerned. I thought the ceremony was very nicely done. I love Aretha, and was delighted to listen to her.
I wish that my children had been able to stay home today and watch this. They had it on at school, but with so many distractions going on...it was hard for them to hear everything.
I am planning a toast to President Obama as soon as I am done here.
What a wonderful, hopeful day!!

julie said...

I wish that I had been sitting there with you. That was such a proud moment.

MarkEC said...

Enjoyed sharing this historical moment with you! You are just full of wonderful memories for me :-)

Mom said...

Wow! Amen.

Maureen said...

I was reading the newspaper Monday evening and thought if I were anywhere else in the world I would wish I was in Washington and how could I be so close and not go. So I went to the Metro and bought a farecard and went to DC at 7am on Tuesday. I never sat down, never went to the bathroom or ate until I got home at 6pm. I met wonderful people from Idaho,Kansas and PA. It was cold but I'm glad I did it.

Linda said...

Big Smile :) and YES!