Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I have the most frustrating modern problem.
I let my old website's domain name expire, which was my name with a .com at the end. The day it expired, someone bought it. The nerve! So my wonderful friend and webmistress re-established me at www.annevankovich.biz
I used the error as an opportunity to update some of the info and chalked it up to lessons learned.

But then we realized that someone is writing a "business blog" under MY NAME! at the old website location!! We are investigating it to see if we can make them stop. I've submitted comments to that blog that are unlikely to get through moderation.

Anyway, I wanted you to know that the Real Ann Evankovich is at .biz.
Why would somebody do that?
Has something like that happened to you?
Any advice?

4 comments:

TAG said...

Someone else has my name dot come as their website. But I can't complain too much because his name and mine are the same.

At least he doesn't seem to be doing anything that will reflect badly on the name.

There is one other slightly humorous thing about my name. I am rather well known in the profession but on occasion I'll have someone ask me which ***** are you? (They only ask once as I have a very distinctive voice.) It seems there is someone with the same name who makes a living selling equipment for the profession.

(Before anyone asks, no my name is not a very common name.)

Welcome to the twilight zone.

TAG

Dtodd said...

So is there another you? In college, someone with the same name as me got hired at the cafeteria I had worked at for a couple of years. He couldn't handle the pressure of such a big name and quit after a few weeks.

AM Kingsfield said...

I suppose if my name was Mary Smith this would have already happened. But I can see that the person who purchased the domain name is named Jaya Jain from India. So I think she is trying to scam something, but I just don't get what.

Miss Bunny said...

Maybe you can email (buyvre@gmail.com) her and ask? And you could also set up a "buy" at godaddy so they'll buy it the minute it becomes available. Seems like they usually send a billion emails before they let it expire. Someone took my domain too - a playboy bunny. It's cleaned up a bit lately, but I had to wash my eyes out with soap when I saw the first one!