Thursday, August 07, 2008







Because the Ex is well connected, I got to go to the Jonas Brothers' concert Wednesday night in Baltimore with my kids. I was annoyed at myself for forgetting my earplugs, not due to the loud music so much: it was the thousands of shrieking girls. My son was happy that Demi Lovato opened for the JoBros. He was in the gender minority, although I heard no complaints.

In case you are not living with children between the ages of 10 & 15, the JoBros are all the rage in Disney boy bands. They put on quite an entertaining show with lasers and pyrotechnics. They had an eight piece string band playing, all beautiful young women in red. I imagine this is not the venue their parents had in mind when they were driving them to lessons. But I bet it pays better than many violin gigs.

So the kids got to sit in the second row at the end of the catwalk - almost in touching distance. No binoculars necessary. Tim & I sat about 20 rows behind them. When seated, you could look sideways and see all the other parents in attendance. We had a silent camaraderie beneath the hysterical shrieking.

What was your first concert?

10 comments:

Anne said...

Billy Joel, 1979 in Cincinnati, a week or so after the kids got trampled to death at the The Who concert at the same venue.

Laura said...

Fall of 1981...AC/DC in Cleveland. I was totally unprepared for the crowd! I showed up in a pink fuzzy sweater and GV jeans....talk about out of place!!

MarkEC said...

What is the Ohio connection here.. my first was Yes in 1978 in Cincinnati. It was in the round.. the stage rotating while they were playing, at least that is the way it seemed? ;-)

just me said...

And I have a Billy Joel connection... my first concert was in 1978-79 (freshman year in college) at Boston Garden ("gahden"). Last month, saw him again at Shea Stadium - it was awesome! (And I wasn't even at the show where McCartney appeared.)

Mom said...

In a another time and place
1961, Harry Belefonte, Greek Theater, Hollywood

Tracy said...

Hey Lewis and the News...
I won free tickets from Q107.

Tracy said...

oops..that should have read "Huey" Lewis and The News. :-)

Linda said...

The Osmond Brothers in ??? seventh grade. Had pictures of them all over my walls. Dressed in the favorite colors of my favorite one, Jay. Front row, screaming.... yep, it's the truth.

Laura said...

Hey Tracy,
I saw Huey Lewis & the News in a small bar in Youngstown, Oh. about a year before they became huge. They were in suits and everyone in the bar gave them a hard time....if only they had known!! It was great, and they played alot of originals that we heard on the radio alot in the months to follow that show. I should have paid closer attention!

Unknown said...

David Bowie at Sandstone Amphitheater K.C. in 1990?
OMG brilliant!
The only other semi-attended concert was Pure Prairie League at Six Flags St. Louis when I was in 7th grade. I was with my best friend and her family walking by the amphitheater while they were warming up with "Amy" and her family complained it was too loud- I was crushed. I wanted to stay. But so began my decent into the hearing impaired world.