Friday, June 13, 2008

At the end of this past school year, I accompanied my son's 7th grade class to the Newseum in DC. It is the newest museum in town and it is about the history of the news. I raised my hand to volunteer quickly for this new field trip destination.

The first exhibit that my group entered was about Pulitzer Prize photography. One wall was covered with small copies all of the winners. The gallery was lined with dozens of them blown up with more explanation by the shot. Built right into the exhibit were several stations with tissues near benches.

All the natural chatter of 25 thirteen year olds enjoying a field trip stopped. They slowed down, stopping here and there with their mouths open. I passed one group looking at a photo of public torture in Southeast Asia.






"Why?" one boy asked "Why would anyone ever do that?"
Another boy, pointing to the crowd in the photo asked, "And what kind of person would laugh?"
I told them that torture as a public spectacle was ancient and even entertaining like today's horror movies.
The first boy startled at that comparison and insisted, "No. This is real. This is different."


Although I didn't get to see the entire museum, the kids were equally somber at the 9/11 exhibit and amazed at the memorial to slain journalists. The section of the Berlin Wall seemed to excite them, perhaps because the defiance in the graffiti was triumphant. The 4-D movie theater was delightfully freaky. It was as fun to watch the audience as take in the show. Great view from the Terrace too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great to see you back.
This kind of field trip is what I would love all kids to have ample opportunities to enjoy. I say enjoy but I don't know -unless they have the right frame of mind and adults leading them, I suspect it could be a futile effort to show them really significant, culturally important stuff and hope they were enlightened or excited.

I would like our school to show some cultural enthusiasm instead opting for all sports or theme park outings.

You all have the absolute BEST set-up in DC!

Mom said...

I have it on my short list of places to go this summer.

Mom said...

I guess you could label this one Chaperon Girl