Monday, September 10, 2007

My lawn mowing service hates my yard. Last week the owner knocked on my door and explained how he & his staff draw straws each week to see who gets stuck mowing my yard. He says he tries to hold his breath the whole time he's mowing.

I've been trying to water more. I recently investigated installing a sprinkler system, but it is so expensive. The problem is my very sandy soil and the type of grass I have. He was suggesting mulch mowing would be better for him than bagging. The poor guy was covered in a powder of grass jimmies.

I don't want to be a problem customer. We'll try the mulch mowing, although I'm afraid all the clippings will end up in the pool, which is why I've been having it bagged.

I don't even own a lawn mower. The ex got the mower in the divorce.

6 comments:

MarkEC said...

"jimmies".. I can make a visual, but thought those things went on ice cream cones? My grass is a mess this year.. usually I do better, but this year it has been tough. You are welcome to use my lawn mower anytime you want. ;-)

Unknown said...

Have you considered a goat?
A shorn yard and milk to boot. Never had better ice cream than when my ag instructor brought his goat milk ice cream to a function.
Hey, the yard guy gets paid to mow, not bitch, right? Shame on him for making you feel bad.

just me said...

I agree with Greeny - the yard guy should not be kvetching. altho I live right near you, and NEVER water, my lawn service doesn't complain. Maybe you should change - I'd be happy to give you my guy's number.

BTW, glad you didn't get a system - it seems kind of wasteful, and can you imagine the size of your water bill? Whew!

We don't own a mower either - once when I suggested such a purchase to hubby, he said, "but then we'd have to use it."

Anne said...

i like the goat idea, i could make fresh goat cheese.

John said...

Las time I mowed I ran over a Pinto hidden in the grass. No more mowing for me

AM Kingsfield said...

My neighbor's down the street just committed lawnicide. Their grass has been so "bad" that they poured Round-up on the whole thing and plan to till it up & start over. And they have an in ground sprinkler system. So something in our soil isn't right.

I just don't care that much I guess.