Tuesday, February 09, 2010


It's still snowing. We had over two feet of snow that started last Friday and finally stopped on Saturday late afternoon. It started snowing again yesterday and this morning I woke up to see it snowing sideways in high wind. The storm warning is in effect until 7pm!

The roads are narrow with high frozen jersey walls of snow. The parking lots have whole mountain ranges, some with shopping carts plowed into them. The grocery stores have big gaps on the shelves, having not received all their shipments and everyone stocking up for the additional 10-20 inches we're getting now.







You would think that I would have gotten more work done: finished the articles I'm working on, begun chapter two of my ghostwriting contract, posted a new blog. But I've been cooking, picking up hats and boots, rubbing sore shovelers' backs, watching movies, playing Scrabble, doing laundry, restocking my fridge, drinking wine, and visiting with neighbors and friends on the phone. I have to get busy!

I'm not even sure what day it is. They're all blurring together into white.

My youngest daughter and a few of her friends worked on this wintry village. They built an indoor fort in front of the basement tv. They also set up a shelter on the front porch for any stranded kitties that might need shelter. (No takers so far as I can see.)

Today I'm going to make everyone clean their room. We're not going anywhere. I'm so grateful we have plenty of supplies and we still have power (knocking on wood.)

3 comments:

just me said...

just for the record - this is completely INSANE!

and I agree - I haven't been nearly as productive as I should have been during this period. (I did make it to work in DC yesterday, and hope to again tomorrow.)

Unknown said...

What an adventure!
We weren't confined nearly as much while being out of school since the roads here were passable so we were out and about enough and we are back in school today.

just me said...

so much for work today - no above-ground Metro means I cannot get there... besides we were told that if we were not specifically called in, we could just check email/voicemail from home.

I'm glad we have a cop on our block so at least we get plowed. And I paid someone to shovel our driveway today.