Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I guess I knew I would ripple the surface when I hit "reply to all" on a recent e-mail that sarcastically oversimplifyied problems with "Mexican" illegal immigrants and unfairly blamed the problem on Obama. The e-mail came from an adult involved in one of my kids' organizations. Maybe I should have just deleted it like I usually do. But I could see the e-mail addresses of the people to whom it was sent and I didn't want them to think that I thought this was funny. I didn't want them to start sending me this crap too.

So I sent a brief, but clear reply-to-all, stating that I found the oversimplification offensive and that problems with immigration existed before Obama and would exist after Obama.

Man-o-man! Two fellow-recipients moderately backed me up, which I appreciated however anemic their support. I received a scathing e-mail from either the sender's wife or daughter saying, among other things, that I was wrong to have replied to all. Of course, I had to reply to that too, but just to her since she sent it just to me.

The sender apologized and removed me from his political tirade e-mail list, which I thanked him for. I also told him I was confident that the offense was unintentional. When I saw him again, he was friendly, although I can't say I felt that way from the looks his daughter and wife gave me. Let's just say I'm not expecting any dinner invitations, which is fine by me.

So do you get these kind of political or religious e-mails that are opposite your views? Do you just continue to delete? Have you ever replied to all? Do you think I was out of line? At what point do you feel you must respond?

7 comments:

Mom said...

I like your label composting garbage.I would be grateful to not receive this junk. Mostly I just delete it. I am more cowardly than you.

just me said...

In that circumstance, I probably would have just replied to the sender. Those that know you know how you feel about the topic.

But mostly I just delete.

Linda said...

This is how I ended up having to delete my first facebook. I replied to a thread that was so outrageous that I felt the need to try and educate... re-learned the lesson that you can't have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.

I just ignore now. And pray for the goodness of all to shine. And don't watch the news...ugh.

AM Kingsfield said...

I suppose I went to far. I'm sure I didn't change anyone's minds - except perhaps to quit sending me those types of e-mails.
A battle of wits with the unarmed...

Unknown said...

I am like Mom- I am a coward and feel unarmed with insight as well because I HATE politics. I avoid discussion of politics and watching news and I don't trust anyone to do what they say they will do. When it is election time, I choose the lesser of two evils (in my mind) when I vote.
I know, I know- I am ashamed to say it but at least I own up to it and I do manage to stay out of fights that way.
The rest of my family stays immersed in politics and have discussions all the time. As usual, Im the odd man out.

Dtodd said...

I don't like them even if I'm in agreement.

John said...

My mother told me that if you ignore someone they will often go away. She was right...sometimes. I ignore a lot.

Does that make me an ignoramus or an ignoranter?