Wednesday, July 22, 2009





Well, it has been two months since I blogged last. Like exercising, once you break the habit of writing, it is hard to start back up again.



Rather than catch up, I'll just jump into my daily dilemma.

I took my son to the allergist yesterday, specifically to test for a nut allergy, and he turned up allergic to cats. Cats! We have had cats for 6 years, the most recent additions coming as Christmas presents to my youngest daughter last 7 months ago.

My son has always had problems with his sinuses, beginning before we had cats. He had 4 sets of ear tubes and an adnoidectomy. Actually, by the last surgery we had cats. He has missed a lot of school with sinus infections over the years.

So the allergist says the best thing is to get rid of the cats, although he says a lot of people don't. I could by HEPA filters, vacuum more often, load my son up on anti-histamines or maybe even get him allergy shots. But what am I saying to him by keeping the cats?

My daughter is at summer camp this week and has not been part of this discussion.

I have spent thousands of dollars on these cats: vaccines, declaw, spay & neuter, emergency room visit when one got squished under the garage door. They have been a considerable investment. They have sometimes been a pain in the ass, hopping up on the counter and breaking things, barfing and pooping in the wrong places, and leaving decapitated rodents on my doorstep. But they have also been a joy and entertaining.

What to do?
Anyone want some kitties?

8 comments:

just me said...

Perhaps I am biased, not being a "cat person," but I would not go through all that effort, and/or put my child on shots, just to keep the animals. Your other kids are old enough to understand - they can get cats themselves when they have their own place :)

Have you discussed this with him yet? If he really enjoys the cats that might change things.

TAG said...

Humm. Doesn't seem like that difficult a choice.

Much as you may love the cats, doesn't your son's health trump that?

Yea, I thought so.

Sorry, no need for a cat here.

TAG

Anne said...

I'd love to have the kitties, if only for the mouse deterrent aspect, but the spouse isn't a cat person.

The APs' house is a cat house. You could ask them.

Thanks for posting!

Mom said...

Welcome back to blogland. we've missed you.
I think the kitties will have to placed for adoption.

just me said...

If the APs are who I think they are, they won't be too receptive to two additional cats in their house. But they might know someone :)

AM Kingsfield said...

I know, I know, that's why I'm feeling down about it. I'm still getting a HEPA room filter for now until I find a home for the felines.

The APs...APs....hhhmmmm

It's good to be back. Thanks!

Tracy said...

Welcome back, I've missed your posts.

And, I'm thinking the cats have got to go.

irrational. said...

ooh! AP's are assistant principals! :)
oh this is "fern" btw.