Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Have you ever changed your dinner plan halfway through cooking?

Last night, I baked my daughter a frozen pizza (whole wheat, organic) and set about making myself some healthy adult fare. My chile seasoned turbot fillet was baking in a glass dish when I decided to have a can of Cuban seasoned black beans as a side dish. How healthy!
I'll save myself a dish and just heat the beans with the fish, I cleverly thought. I pulled out the oven rack and began spooning the canned beans around the sizzling fish.

Now you are one step ahead of me here, I know. I've heard of this happening: I had just never seen it demonstrated so vividly. The dish exploded with a bang. Hot chards of glass, sticky fish, and bean confetti littered my kitchen. I'm lucky I didn't end up on a bizarre episode of CSI. (That's redundant: they're all bizarre.)

The first to come investigate were the kitties, smelling the fish and unaware of their peril. Once I got them locked in the garage, I could begin the clean-up. Talk about a hot mess! I saved the inside of the oven for today's entertainment. My gas oven has many nooks and crannies for glass chards to hide. I never took that thing so far apart. Had to use a little WD-40. Is that flammable?

6 comments:

Mom said...

Oh my! I am grateful that it in your kitchen instead of mine. Bless your little heart.

julie said...

yikes!

Gary & Laurel Cox said...

Duh ... FLAMABLE!! I have been laughing all afternoon at your "adventure"!

MarkEC said...

And the WD-40 was barely noticeable in the dinner the following night. :-)

Maureen said...

I would have done the same thing. I would think only frozen things would cause that to happen. So now I know, Thanks you saved me.

John said...

And the following nights dinner also went down very...smooooooothly?