Sunday, May 10, 2009



I canceled my lawn service this year and bought a mower. I needed to pinch back my budget and the price of a mower + paying my son was less than the service. Sometimes he has mowed for free too.


Why do people work so hard to have all their grass the same type of grass? Do you think it's worth all the chemicals and weeding? If my lawn was a church, it would be Unitarian: all species welcome. I kind of like all the variety.


I weed whacked for the first time of the season and was deaf and buzzing for an hour afterward. I'm sure I'm not very efficient at it yet. I went out and bought ear protection.

On Friday, I mowed my front and back yard for the first time in my life. It was much harder than I expected. I didn't realize how many things I have to mow around, including my new compost cage and little garden. I'm open for any advice for a novice mower.

Back by my new garden are thriving irises & peonies that the previous owner planted. Some of the irises were lying forward onto the grass. It was tricky trying to lift the irises without releasing the deadman's grip on the mower. The irises kept flopping back onto the ground. I though, "These are suicidal irises." Wouldn't that be a great name for a band? The Suicidal Irises.



So my first attempt at a garden is an ongoing experiment. The tomatoes I planted as seeds inside and then transferred all died, as did the zucchinis. The peas are doing pretty well, and I have two surviving bell peppers, but they are really small still. I replanted some tomatoes seedlings and they look promising - especially because of all the rain we've been having. I went ahead and put the cages around them so they know what high hopes I have for them. I have some cantaloupe sprouting in a pot I'll transfer into the garden where the zucchini's abandoned hope. I'm going to plant some pumpkins too.

7 comments:

John said...

You're doing better than I am with your garden. Mine hasn't made it off the drawing board yet. But we can all dream, can't we.

Mom said...

Your yard looks lovely.
Thanks for the wonderful day today. I love you.

Dtodd said...

When it comes to mowing, I prefer the lap method to the row method. (there's quite a debate about the best approach, you know).

just me said...

garden looks good. I never plant from seeds... too much work, and the small plants don't cost much.

thought about going to the garden store yesterday, then remembered it was mother's day and decided to wait until next week.

hope you had a great mother's day... ours was quiet. Went to Pops Sat night - it was outstanding! The band certainly added to the whole evening.

AM Kingsfield said...

John, I haven't been blogging so much because of exactly that problem of time. I can blog about it or do it. Sometimes it's a tough choice. Blogging isn't as sweaty.

Dan, I think I will like the lap method - but only second to my son doing it for me.

JM- the show was great, wasn't it?

Unknown said...

I think to be self-sufficient is the way to go although I would prefer to have the money to pay to have the yard mowed for me (I am actually paying J).
Sweet job on the garden and compost pile. Let the real summer temps come and you'll be surprised how much stuff will grow given the right fertilizer and water! I will be waiting in anticipation to see your bounty.

Unknown said...

Are you still alive or are you just hiding out? Or are you traveling?
Hello anyway and like I told Anne, time is running out to get your travel plans made to be in Orlando with us next week...