Friday, December 19, 2008


I’m sitting in the Hard Bean Coffee Shop in the historic Annapolis harbor, just after 7am. I’ve dropped my young diva off at St. John’s College for the first of her ten holiday shows. I’ve never been down here for coffee in the morning. It’s a different crowd: fewer tourists, more regulars.

This brick town looks pretty at Christmastime. There’s a big lighted tree in the traffic roundabout, the masts of the sailboats bobbing in the harbor behind them. Windows are hung with red-bowed wreathes. Shop windows with white lights seductively display their best dressed gift ideas. The city has covered the parking meters with festive red bags, gift wrapping free parking for the holiday shoppers. A red bow passes the window on the neck of a big yellow retriever pulling a nautical matron.







I noticed a sign posted in the window that I knew you’d want to see for tomorrow’s Santa Speedo Run. Apparently tomorrow, a battalion of scantily clad Santas will be enjoying a brisk mile jog through Annapolis’ historic district.

Although the run is at 2, registration begins two hours prior accompanied with “libations.” At 1:45, participants will “strip down and file out to the street.”

The fine print of the poster has some advice:
Obviously a Speedo-like bathing suit is required. Women, bathing suit (2-piece if possible, but not mandatory.) Holiday colors are preferred. Please, no thongs! We know you have the body to pull it off, so why prove what’s obvious? Santa hat, beard and other holiday flair at your discretion.

I hate to miss it, but perhaps some things are better left to the imagination.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Sounds like you had a fun time! And I am sure the diva did a great job!

Laura said...

Forgot this in the original post....missing the Santa Speedo Run is probably wise. It usually ends up being the people who should not be running in a speedo that sign up to participate!!

John said...

This is just another example of your illustrious writing skills. The descriptiveness, the vividity, more than my imagination can handle.Very good. A+ from your English Teacher. And as regards the Santa Speedo Run, my manly physique does not allow me to enter nor complete such a transparent attempt at lasciviousnessidity.

Unknown said...

I would be on the front line of the spectators for that race. Obviously, it's been a while since I was out.
I would enjoy being in the downtown area for sure. Lovely.