Monday, December 15, 2008

I should be doing so many other things right now. My guess is, you should be too, eh? But hey, all work and no play....

After reading the Washington Post today, I was thinking of "Farewell Kisses."

Surely you've heard the story about an Iraqui journalist throwing his shoes at George W, while shouting, "This is your farewell kiss!" A horrible insult with a comic dimension to it from Western eyes. I understand that it is a terrible insult in the Iraqui culture, but I admire someone who can so clearly express their emotions in a relatively non-violet way. I'm sure he'll face serious consequences; of course he should. I can't imagine anyone hassling him in jail over it though. I'm curious to see what happens to the guy.

I have rarely felt moved to be so demonstrative. Once or twice though.... But who could inspire me to hurl my Birkenstocks? I bet the gesture would be a great release! So much more emphatic than just giving someone the finger. I'll have to remember that one.

I wonder what will happen to that pair of shoes. Will he get them back? I guess they will be entered as evidence. I wonder if the shoe will fit the assailant?

Have you ever been mad enough to throw your shoes at someone? Looking back, can you think of a time or two when you wish you would have though of it?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Many drivers I have encountered needed shoes at the very least thrown at them and now that I am removed from the situation by several years, I can say some golf cleats lobbed in my last former Mr. Greeny's skull would make me very happy and yes, he deserves it. Other than that, I'm good.

John said...

I can honestly say I have never considered throwing my shoes at someone. Of course, if I had I might have stubbed my toe when I kicked them in the butt.

Dtodd said...

Beware! If you're free to hurl objects at folks who displease you, you are also subject to having objects thrown your way.

AM Kingsfield said...

Ouch yes. I have felt that sting a time or two as well!