Sunday, January 20, 2008

I have started a 1000 page book. I almost didn't because I knew what would happen. The laundry stacks up. The kids have to cook for themselves. I unintentionally stay up too late.

I am reading Ken Follet's "World Without End." Nothing was "the good old days" about the 12th century. What mean times they were. Kids and women were rarely treated with any dignity and expected abuse.

I think we are evolving as humans into a more compassionate humanity. The question is, is the part of us that is evolving going to survive the part of us that is using up all our resources? At least I'll have time to finish my book first.

4 comments:

julie said...

I loved "Pillars of the Earth". Tell me how this one is. There were parts of Pillars that I had a hard time reading...a little too graphic but overall it was a good book.

Unknown said...

I like the sound of the book. I remember sometime last year reading a blog inwhich an English guy was wondering why people wished for the good old days since even as late as the turn of the 20th century, it wasn't so wonderful. And the 19th cerntury?! Forget it.
Enjoy your read. I'll look for it and maybe check out Julie's mention.

Candy said...

I'm reading the same book! I loved Pillars of the Earth (though I know what Julie is talking about and I'm finding the same true in World Without End). I'm fascinated by how the world has evolved. I know what you mean about the world coming to a standstill while I am engrossed in a good book.

John said...

The last 1000 pager I read was The Stand by Stephen King and that was the 'unedited' edition. I didn't realize that Follet was writing anything other than spy novels. I'll have to look. Thanks for the info.