Thursday, December 20, 2007

After Christmas, I collect all the Christmas story books and put them away. It is fun to pull out the basket again and see our old favorites. Even my big kids enjoy the old picture books.

One of our favorites is "How Murray Saved Christmas" by Mike Reiss. It is set in the rhythm of "Twas the Night". It is the story of a Jewish deli owner who substitutes for a sick Santa.

"Polar Express" and "Alabaster's Song" are basically the same story, but they both choke me up in the end.

I love Jan Brett's illustrations in the famous "Twas the Night" by Clement Moore.

Which Christmas stories do you enjoy?

7 comments:

julie said...

A new one- Great Joy by Kate DiCamillo

Unknown said...

Oddly enough, we don't have Christmas story books - sad I know.
I do have a funny little book I found in a flea market that's only 2 inches by 3 inches big. I set it out every year. It's "The Story of the Christmas Guest" and it makes my heart swell with emotion when ever I read it.
A man hearing God's words that he will visit him so the man waits only to have visitors such as a beggar, and old woman carrying a heavy load, a lost child and so on. The man takes care of them all with a kind heart but is dismayed the Lord has not come. And of course, God says "but I was at your house in the form of the beggar, the old woman, the child. It's from an old German poem and legend.

Kate DiCamillo is a favorite of mine and Jan Brett's work is wonderful.

Maureen said...

Greeny, I heard that on the radio this morning. Granpa Jones for those of you who remember Hee Haw sings it.

John said...

How to Defend Yourself Against Alien Abduction by Anne Druffel

Unknown said...

Laughing and cracked as usual, John.
And HeeHaw was a integral part of my eveing viewing as I grew up, Maureen.

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, AM!

MarkEC said...

I liked yours about Murray.. very funny! I found John's book on Amazon.. is Santa considered alien?