Monday, August 20, 2007

The thing I'm studying for recently is an adult Sunday School class coming up for the fall at my church. I have a delicious topic.
My class is called "The Uncensored Bible." We will be looking over several of the Bible stories that are too racy to be included in children's material and rarely covered in sermons: drunkenness, human sacrifice, gory murders, incest, public orgies, genocide, kidnappings, rape, and all sorts of mayhem.

Why study these? These ancient stories have survived thousands of years, supposedly for our benefit. They are, in a way, our family histories. It's good to know our stories.

I have a great grandpa about whom I know virtually nothing accept one story. During the tensions leading to the US involvement in WWII, Charles Preston tarred and feathered a German-sympathizer and ran him out of town. He did a brief stint in jail and shamed the family. His children were sworn to secrecy. But guess what story is the only one passed on to his great grandchildren?

So what I'm wondering is, do you have any racy stories in your family history that you are glad to know? How does knowing them change anything?

6 comments:

MarkEC said...

I don't have any racy stories that I know of from my family, maybe the "sworn to secrecy" worked for a few generations. Would be interested in sitting in on your class though... sounds intriguing.

Anne said...

I don't know of any racey stories about my ancestors.

Feel good story, though: My dad's dad was the state forester for the state of Ohio during the depression, steady income. My grandmother had a degree in music and taught piano lessons to the wealthier students who could afford them but gave all her students to another woman whose husband couldn't find work.

Mom said...

There is our great, great - I don't know how many greats - uncle Rube Burrow. He was a well known outlaw train robber in the 1800s. He had a Robin Hood like reputation and was a sort of hero. he was killed truing to escape from jail. You can Google him if you want to learn more.

Linda said...

Almost all of my family's stories are racy--it's like we open our mouths and bones fall out! One of the best: When my dad was dating my mom, he was supposed to pick her up from work one day but he had chores to do and didn't finish them in time. His dad the Marine decided to take all his clothes so he couldn't go. My dad the Marine wraps himself in a blanket and goes and picks her up anyway! Naked. And of course he got pulled over by the police for speeding because he was late. Can you imagine? Talked his way out of the ticket though. I imagine the policeman still chuckles about that one...

AM Kingsfield said...

I forgot about Rube. He was a good bad guy (which is better than a bad good guy.)
Yolinna, I love that story! It tells a lot about your family.

Anne & Mark just need to dig a little deeper. Surely all your ancestors weren't upstanding ;-)

MarkEC said...

I'm digging.. :-)